Thursday, July 29, 2010

BILA LANGIT MENIMPA KEPALA:

A little "storm" happened in a department very close (physically) to mine. Almost all staff in the department is saying their relucatance to resume working under the present head. These meant staff are not just any Tom, Dick or Harry but an obvious "creme de la creme"; so their noise must have a good ground.

I am to learn their grouses better before suggesting a solution hence I will require an audience with every each of them; individually or in a group. I was advised to let the concerned Head know that I am seeing them to have some "small talk" and this is an act of courtesy. Though it is against any thinkable strategies as it will sure leak the grouses to the Head, I hesitantly abide by it.

The strategy bitten me back so hard. Said the Head "kalau nak jumpa diaorang, buat di luar waktu kerja. Diaorang ada banyak kerja ni!". The actual fact is that, they are forced to work until 8:00 every day and if the instrcution is to be adhered, I am only to meet them after 8:00. Who in the sane mind, on a normal day like today will wait beyond 8:00 o'clock to spill their guts about their disgruntled unhappiness at work?

Right before that, when the rendezvous was "whispered" to every and each staff, each was smiling with (maybe) hope or relief: that at least someone is finally ready to listen to them or hoping that something can be done to better the situation. YET; I was unable to see them as planned. I can see how gloomy their faces were. Another night with something stuck there at their throat.

I am imagining how it felt if I am the said Head or what I will do? Definitely sad knowing that all staff under me is unhappy over "something" about me. What have I done wrong or is there any chance to get it fixed? Something that she do not realise is that all are ready to tender their resignation if things do not improve. 1 is ever ready to be demoted so very low that he once said "biar saya jadi clerk di mana-mana department pun tak apa (while mentioning another "hell hole" deemed worst than the department he is in now), 2 is busy updating their jobstreet's resume.

A storm is definite and as Chicken Little put it "the sky is falling".

Do we listen to one Head defending her leadership approaches OR; do we concur with majority staff who are ready to let everything go while having nothing to fall back to? Do we blame a person under whom so many staff was leaving or dismissed OR; we place the blame on those who do not know how to adapt to the style of that one Head?

Something that is almost certain though is that, not far from tomorrow, I will hear "Kalau semua nak berhenti, let them: Kita bukan tak boleh cari orang lain ganti diaorang."

When forced to choose, we choose to defend our mistaken stand though we know we are wrong....and we will do it with an utmost arrogance. That will be our favourite mistake!

No comments:

Post a Comment